Minnesota Department of Human Services (BI)
Brain Injury Waiver
Disability Hub MN
711 or 800-627-3529
Call your County Human Services Agency.
The Brain Injury (BI) waiver provides home and community-based services that promote the optimal health, independence, safety and integration of a person and who would otherwise require the level of care provided in a specialized nursing facility or neurobehavioral hospital.
Enrolled before turning 65
Types of disabilities served:
Persons diagnosed with brain injury or related neurological condition that resulted in significant cognitive and behavioral impairment.
Area of Minnesota served:
1. Eligible for the Medical Assistance program.
2. Certified disabled by Social Security or the State Medical Review Team. 3. Under age 65 at the time of opening to the waiver.
4. Determined to meet nursing facility or neurobehavioral hospital level of care criteria.
5. Have a completed BI Waiver Assessment and Eligibility Determination form.
6. Diagnosed with brain injury or related neurological condition that resulted in significant cognitive and behavioral impairment.
7. Have the potential to benefit from rehabilitative services.
8. Have an assessed need for supports and services over and above those available through the MA State Plan.
9. Have an assessed need for a specialized provider or rate to meet the personís impairments or services only available through the BI waiver.
Maximum amount individual can receive:
The waiver pays for the cost of the equipment, including necessary training or instruction on the use of the equipment.
- Purchase Device
- Rent Device
- Information and Referral
- Fabrication (custom)
- Aids for Daily Living
- Beds/Bed Modifications
- Education/ Employment
- Electronic Aids
- Home/Building Modifications
- Mobility Seating and Positioning
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
Return to search and index
For listing updates contact:
358 Centennial Office Building
658 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-201-2640 or toll free 888-234-1267(voice)
MN Relay: 711 or 800-627-3529