Minnesota Department of Human Services - Alternative Care
Alternative Care Program
Senior Linkage Line
444 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-3844
711 or 800-627-3529
Alternative Care is a program that funds home and community-based services for people age 65 years and older who require the level of care provided in a nursing home, choose to live in the community and are not yet financially eligible for the Medical Assistance program.
65 and older
Types of disabilities served:
The applicant should have limitations or dependencies present that would require nursing or certified board care facility level of care
Area of Minnesota served:
To qualify, you must:
1. Be age 65 or older.
2. Need nursing home level of care as determined by the Long-Term Consultation process.
3. Not have enough income and assets to pay for a nursing home stay lasting longer than 135 days.
4. Need services that Alternative Care can provide for less than 75 percent of what Medical Assistance would pay for an older person with a similar level of need.
5. Have no other way to pay for the services.
Maximum amount individual can receive:
Dependent on individually determined budget limits.
Funding may be used for installation, maintenance, and repair.
- Purchase Device
- Rent Device
- Aids for Daily Living
- Beds/Bed Modifications
- Home/Building Modifications
- Mobility Seating and Positioning
Return to search and index
For listing updates contact:
358 Centennial Office Building
658 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-201-2640 or toll free 888-234-1267(voice)
MN Relay: 711 or 800-627-3529